Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Why I Keep Homeschool Simple



Sounds fabulous, doesn't it? Keeping homeschool simple.  The word simple just sounds so, well, simple. Ha! You see what I did there? Anyhow, keeping it simple is my thing. I really mean it. I'm a simple kinda gal, but I haven't always been. Some people seem to be born with the natural ability to keep things simple. I wasn't one of them.

Simple things add up to be some of the best things and this has really proved true in my life. I'm sure we have all heard the saying "Less is More".  I truly believe that I will stand by that saying.



In our previous years of homeschooling, I have tried to wing it. You know, tried the whole create as we go and hope for the best method. You see it's actually a fabulous way of learning, IF you keep it simple. I haven't always kept it simple. One idea would turn into a hundred and many times I felt like there was too much to accomplish and no time to do it all. We always rushed. These constant activities and feelings kept us from truly being able to retain what we were learning. Whenever I tried to “do it all” I was soon spread too thin to be any good to anyone. It was a constant race from one activity to the other. We didn't feel satisfied. We had feelings of failing, because we weren't getting it all done. It was tiresome and it was no fun. The times we were relaxed, slowed down and kept it simple, things flowed better. We learned better. We retained better. We honestly enjoyed ourselves. I have to continuously keep reminding myself….the biggest reason that I decided to homeschool my daughters is for them to learn at their own pace and ENJOY learning.

We do curriculum reviews and are constantly changing from one curriculum to another. You might wonder...How is that keeping it simple? Well, we take our time and enjoy each one and when we are done we move on. Unless we absolutely love it, then we stick with it. Overall, I just find what works best for my daughters and allow them to move at their own pace. There is no need to rush things. It will all be there tomorrow, I'm sure of it. It's okay to take breaks and enjoy the blessings that surround us daily.

I have learned that homeschooling can be made far more complicated than it should be. A simpler approach is just much more effective. Simple just works for us!


 
Sweet homeschool momma, are you keeping things simple? Do you feel rushed, overwhelmed, possibly burned out?  First things first, Pray! Then take a deep breath and remember tomorrow is a new day. A new day to try new things. A new day to keep it simple. Remember, there is beauty in simplicity.




Like our blog? You can Subscribe and/or check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest



2 comments:

Thank you for your comment! :)


Google