Monday, October 07, 2013

Australia - Wk 6 - Day 6 - Unsecured Load Scare & Australia Salt Dough Map

Today we had a pretty eventful morning. We started out the morning with a little trip to take my grandmother to the doctor. Everything was going great until I had a 'final destination' moment. That movie always gave me the heebie jeebies, Anyhow, this moment was a bit different. I pulled slowly to stop behind a semi carry a decent load of pipe. I decided that I didn't much like being directly behind the semi, so as soon as I could I pulled to the left lane. My grandmother, not being able to see clearly, asked me if the load was indeed pipe, or huge rolls of tar paper. I assured her that I did indeed think they were pipe. She insisted that we needed a better look, I disagreed and continued to drive, without ever the thought of needing to figure the "not so" mystery out. Oh thank goodness I didn't pull up further for a better look. It happen, friends! A pipe flew off the back of the semi and came barreling at us. Hitting the cement road and flying up again, only for gravity to pull it right back down. I hit the brakes as easy as I could, trying not to send grandma flying into the dash and I maneuvered my way around the lone pipe. Realizing the semi was not paying attention or had no regard, I took it upon myself to inform him of his mishap. I drove quite a distance behind as I was leery of the rest of the pipe and I realized we would meet up again at a distant stop light. As I pulled to the light, I honked my horn a loud two times and rolled my window down. He turned to look and I motioned with my hands and spoke loudly as to inform him. He looked at me with a bewildered look and shook his head, as to say yes. Thinking he must not have understood me, I repeated loudly again trying to inform him. This time it was clear, clear that he knew and had not a care about the situation.  Needless to say, I jotted a little info down from his truck, and later made a couple phone calls. Unfortunately I found out nothing could be done. Really!? So friends, take caution, stay alert when driving, because unfortunately not all loads are secure and you just never know when something may fly right towards you.

Okay, on to our learning fun for today. :)

More Australia Fun

We had some more Australia learning fun. We are now starting week 6 of our homeschool year. Hard to believe we've been at this for almost 6 weeks now, and that we are already on our second week of Australia. Today we managed to finish some worksheets that were left unfinished from last week in our folders and we made a really neat Australia salt dough map. I've had a few people ask me what the recipe is for making salt dough maps, so I will be sharing it below. :)

Salt Dough Recipe

4 cups of flour
2 cups of salt
2 cups of water
2 tablespoons of cream of tartar


Mix with your hands until it feels like playdough. Add more flour or water as needed.
I found some pretty neat printable recipe cards with the recipe. Click below to download and print these cool cards. 

Here is a great resource for making outlines for a salt dough map


I also came across a fun blog that gives the recipe for a cookie dough map. How fun and yummy! We will be trying this sometime in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! :)


Google