Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pilgrim/Thanksgiving Unit - Day 3






Click Here To Visit Our 


Today we started out our day working on our thankful turkeys. The girls each colored their turkeys and wrote what they were thankful for on the feathers. The thankful turkey craft can be found HERE. We then read through our pilgrim unit study that I had printed out from HERE and completed each activity. After we had finished the activities we started working on our pilgrim lapbook. You can find a list of lapbook printables on our Pilgrim/Thanksgiving Resource List blog post. I also found a simple online pilgrim quiz that the girls took turns completing. Each did very well and I was quite surprised at the amount of information they seem to be retaining. I always wonder "are they retaining this?" I'm sure I'm not the only mother who worries about that. It sure is nice when I can see evidence. This is a unit I have been doing with my daughters for a couple years in a row now and I always assumed the information would stick with them. Well funny story. We were with my mother-in-law Monday and she asked my girls if they knew who the pilgrims were. I was smiling confident that they did indeed. Well,  my oldest popped up and said "Do they lay eggs?" Oh boy! I'm not sure what she was thinking, but it was funny and we quickly answered her with the correct information. Needless to say, I think it is important to go back over units yearly or whenever it is convenient to help refresh memories. 





We also located the journey the pilgrims took on the globe. I liked doing this with my visual learners because it helped them really understand the struggles they faced on such a long journey aboard the Mayflower. 


We also read that each family had about a 5' x 5' square of space aboard the Mayflower where they slept, cooked, and lived. After reading this we took a tape measure and measured that out and stood in the square. I think the girls were amazed at how little of a space that truly was. 



Here is a song that my girls enjoyed very much.
They Were The Pilgrims

Today we also read The First Thanksgiving by Jean Craighead George



We hope you are having a great day and hope some of the links we have provided have proved to be useful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! :)


Google