Monday, March 31, 2014

Media Talk 101 - Captivated DVD Review



Hello friends, my family and I recently had the opportunity to review the Captivated DVD from Media Talk 101. What a wonderful documentary! 

What is Media Talk 101?

Captivated Movie Review
Media Talk 101 is a nonprofit Christian ministry that provides biblical help for living in a society saturated in media.  They provide help through live presentations, wonderful resources, speaker training, and prayer!


What is the Captivated DVD?


The Captivated DVD is an award winning Christian documentary that explores the impact of Social Media.  Media Talk 101 founder, Philip Telfer, takes us on a nationwide tour of experts, families, and individuals, to demonstrate not only the problems of a media slave culture, but also how God’s Word addresses the unique challenges we all seem to face today.


How did we use and what did we think of the Captivated DVD?


Before even putting the documentary into the DVD player, I asked my family to turn over their phones and tablets. Yes, I got them. No, my girls were NOT happy. I immediately felt sad and realized that yes, we do indeed have a media problem right here at home. Yes, I already knew this before even watching the film. As I looked upon the pile, I started to feel a bit convicted. I mean for one, I'm the one who had purchased these devices. I even started to understand why Media Talk 101 would choose the word captivated. It's a strong word and very appropriate. It is a captivating feeling, to think about how much control we have giving over to media. I thought since my children know that they are not allowed to view some content, that we were on a good track. I learned years ago, that their attitudes were being molded from some of the media they were viewing. I put a stop to those shows, games, ect. Was that enough? I can honestly say, No. We are surrounded by not just TV's, but computers, tablets, phones, gaming systems, etc. It is overwhelming, the amount of media that we have allowed into our home. It's not just in our homes either, it's everywhere you go.  It's also not just the amount of media that is concerning, it's the content of most this media. 

I presented my children with this question: 

Do you think our family could go a few days without any media? 

I could hear the crickets chirping..well not really, but they were so quiet. Why? I'm assuming they were wondering what shows they would miss or maybe how they would possibly be able to beat the next level on their favorite game. I'm positive they weren't thinking about how much fun they could have playing outside or doing something productive.



During the course of the documentary, I found myself pausing to discuss what we were learning. There were a ton of facts presented throughout the documentary that really got us thinking and talking. For example, below are just a few facts we learned.
  • The screen time for the average American child is over 53 hours per week. 
  • By the time the average child is 18 they will have witnessed 200,000 acts of violence and 16,000 murders on TV.
  • Some people find media a bigger addiction than drugs. 
I know my girls were surprised to learn these facts along with many other facts. As we had actually never discussed these things in depth before. I felt that the Captivated DVD presented an opportunity to discuss the dangers of media, but also discuss the ways to address and help the issue. It allowed my girls to better understand that we need to be strong in the Lord and quite being so busy with media. We need to be taking the media and replacing it with something positive. Guarding our heart and breaking free from a media centered culture.

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

Colossians 2:8



I know that, looking forward, we plan to be much more media wise.




What does the Captivated DVD cost?


At this time you can purchase the Captivated DVD for $16.95. 
In my opinion, this is a wonderful price for this quality documentary.

Who is the Captivated DVD for?


This movie is intended for adults, but has been approved for all ages. I personally loved being able to view it with my family. It presented a wonderful opportunity to discuss the in depth issues of media.

*******************

Well friends, it's safe to say, that I feel our family has been blessed by the Captivated DVD. It really gave us a lot to think about. I highly recommend it to everyone. 

You can find Media Talk 101 on Facebook and Twitter. 

Twitter: @CaptivatedMovie

Captivated Movie Review

Click below to read other fantastic reviews of the Captivated DVD from the Schoolhouse Review Crew. 

Click to read Crew Reviews


Crew Disclaimer



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! :)


Google