Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day 2010

Today when I told my daughters it was Veterans Day, they asked tons of questions and I answered most to the best of my knowledge. I knew the basics, but I really needed to read up about the history of Veterans Day.
This is what I knew:

When Is Veterans Day?

It is observed each year on November 11th.

What Is Veterans Day?

Veterans Day is a day to honor America's vete

rans, all men and women who served honorably in the five branches of the U.S. military during times of both war and peace.

The five branches are the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.

These are a couple of sites I used to educate myself on the history of Veterans Day.

United States Department of Veterans Affairs

The History of Veterans Day

In November 1919, President Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day, it wasn't changed to Veterans day until June 1st, 1954 when President Eisenhower signed legislation changing the name of the legal holiday from Armistice Day to Veteran's Day.

I'm a huge fan of Enchanted Learning. There is a link below with awesome worksheets!


Veterans Day Crafts, Projects, Worksheets, Books, and Printouts


We printed out some great worksheets and the girls each colored an American flag and displayed them on our board.

Have a wonderful day!
*Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! :)


Google