Monday, September 26, 2011

Knowing when to back up!



I received my fall issue of OCHEC magazine. Loved it!  So many wonderful articles.


There was so much that just jumped out at me. There was an article written by Barbara Frank that stated "that the most important questions a homeschooling mom can ask is when to back off, because sometimes we moms are so eager to do everything right that we over do it."   How true this is!   I have seen this already in my journey. I have at times had to back up, not because I wanted to, but because I knew I needed to, if I wanted to keep the learning fire burning. 


 I have also struggled with the homeschool burnout! Oh yeah! Unrealistic expectations. Oh, but it all sounded so perfect in theory, didn't it? If you homeschool, you more than likely know of the burnout I speak of. At times, we fall behind and struggle to catch up.  I'm learning to back up and let go. I'm learning that it is okay. It's okay to take breaks, when the breaks are needed. It's okay to move on when something isn't working.  Kids learn best when they are comfortable. If your child is on edge, it's okay to step away for awhile, you can always come back to it later.  


The article ended saying "that if we can become aware of situations where backing off is a smart thing to do, we will find that homeschooling is easier for us. And that is always a good thing!" 


If you would like to read the article, it can be found in the Fall 2011 issue of OCHEC informer magazine. 




Here is a great article on: 

Overcoming Homeschool Mom Burn-Out


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! :)


Google