Friday, May 16, 2014

Micro Business for Teens ~ Review




Hello Friends, My oldest daughter and I just had the opportunity to review the books Starting a Micro BusinessRunning a Micro Business, and
Micro Business for Teens Workbook from Micro Business for Teens. This review proved to be quite the adventure and one that we are glad we had. The recommended ages are for 10 - 18 years old. My oldest is 10 and she had an absolute blast with this curriculum.




Micro Business for Teens was created by a wonderful lady, Carol Topp. It's a program designed to teach teens about what a micro business is, how to start a micro business, and how to run one. She provides wonderful knowledge, easy to understand ideas, and wonderful encouragement that all help develop business skills.  I believe she truly has a gift for educating others on micro businesses. I went into this curriculum thinking how wonderful it would be for my daughter, never expecting I would come out of it learning what I did. I love the way she breaks down the steps and made it that even my 10 year old daughter understood and enjoyed the learning experience.

Here are some basics we learned about micro businesses that really intrigued us.

* Simple & Fast Start up
* One Worker
* Debt Free
* Home-based
* Low Risk
* Learn While Earning

When first beginning this curriculum, my daughter had never even heard of a micro business. She had no idea that at her age, she could start a business that could provide her with an income. She was mesmerized by the idea and it quickly became evident that this curriculum was going to be a great fit. I had my doubts and honestly wondered if maybe it would be a better fit, if she was older. This was not the case. It turned out to be a perfect for her. We quickly started reading the first book, Starting a Micro Business.




 Starting a Micro Business is a book that provided us with easy to understand ideas on how the process of starting a micro business works. My daughter learned how to collect her business ideas and narrow them down to a pick that would compliment her best. She learned about what a micro business is, how to avoid problems and pitfalls, how to write a business plan, and how to start.

I loved how the book included several successful examples of micro businesses for teens. We loved reading these and I feel it gave my daughter  much needed encouragement and confidence to know that a micro business was something she could do.  





Running a Micro Business compliments Starting a Micro Business very nicely. After learning about starting a micro business, my daughter went on to learn about what it meant to run a micro business. She learned about things she would have never been aware of such as - Sales, marketing, customer service, record keeping, and legality issues.













Micro Business for Teens Workbook is fantastic! It is to be used in conjunction with Starting a Micro Business and Running a Micro Business. We would read a chapter and then turn over to the workbook to complete the questions. Having the questions really helped my daughter understand what she was learning. It was also very refreshing for her to be able to work at her own pace. I never felt that the questions were to hard, because everything was always laid out so nicely and every answer could be found in the books. It is recommended that a mentor is used when completing the workbook. Shortly after beginning, I understood why. It was always nice to provide feedback to my daughter and offer her support as she found her way through the book.

Did my daughter start a micro business?

She sure did! Remember friends, she is only 10 years old and is now earning money through her micro business. I am amazed and couldn't be more proud. My daughter started a pet sitting and dog walking micro business. I know that she appreciates the knowledge she has learned. She is easily able to manage her micro business and still have time for school and play. I know this would have never happened had we not had the opportunity to review such a wonderful curriculum. Friends, I can't even put into words the excitement I felt, seeing my daughter so happy about her new venture. I don't think she will ever forget her first payday either. What I find awesome also, is the fact that this whole micro business is a learning experience and just because we are done with the books, doesn't mean she is done learning about business.  I'm putting this curriculum up to use with my other two daughters for when they reach an appropriate age. This was truly a gift that keeps on giving.



What does Micro Business for Teens cost?

Starting a Micro Business - Paperback $9.95 or E-book $4.95

Running a Micro Business - Paperback $9.95 or E-book $4.95

Micro Business for Teens Workbook - Paperback $14.95 or E-book $9.95

In my opinion these are wonderful prices for such a great amount of wonderful knowledge.



Want to connect with Micro Business for Teens?




Click below to read more reviews from the Schoolhouse Review Crew.
Click to read Crew Reviews
Crew Disclaimer


2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    What a cool story about your daughter's micro business! I loved it! Thanks for sharing it.

    I think she's going to go on and learn about time and money management, responsibility, confidence, etc So much!

    Be sure to watch the public television program Starting a Micro Business. It features 6 students (all homeschooled!) and their parents discussing their micro businesses. http://youtu.be/K2g_MKqLUpo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      Thank you so much for your comment. My daughter is delighted that you read about her micro business and loved it. I should have mentioned in the review that we did watch the video. It was wonderful! Thank you for everything you do. Many Blessings!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! :)


Google