Friday, November 14, 2014

Homeschool Math - Blackjack


Last night I walked into dining room to see my husband teaching our daughters to play blackjack. It was such a sight. I had such a great time observing the games and watching as they counted and strategized.  I was suddenly brought back to my childhood. I have wonderful memories of sitting around with my family playing a different array of card games. I cherish those memories and realize that we too are now making memories and it's kinda educational. 

Did they even realize they were doing math? Probably not, because they were having so much fun. 

That made me smile. 


~Basic Blackjack Rules~ 

A blackjack game has a dealer and one or more players. Each player plays against the dealer. 

All players are initially dealt two cards and the dealer is dealt one card face down and one face up.

 Each player can then hit (ask for an additional card) until their total exceeds 21 (this is called busting) or they decide to stand (stop taking cards for the rest of the hand). 

Face cards count as 10 and an ace may be counted as 1 or 11. 

After all of the players have finished, the dealer reveals the face down card and plays the hand with a fixed strategy: hit on 16 or less and stand on 17 or more.

******************************

 It’s a wonderful way to reinforce simple math skills and all you need to play is a deck of cards. 


What fun games does your family enjoy playing?


Like our blog? You can Subscribe and/or check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! :)


Google