Monday, September 21, 2015

YWAM Publishing - HEROES OF HISTORY Ben Carson: A Chance at Life - REVIEW


My daughters and I recently had the opportunity to review HEROES OF HISTORY Ben Carson: A Chance at Life and the Unit Study Curriculum Guide from YWAM Publishing.  This was such a fun and interesting study. My daughters and I enjoyed it immensely.


HEROES OF HISTORY Ben Carson: A Chance at Life is a 192 page paperback book recommended for ages 10+. This wonderful book introduces you to and explores the life of the world famous
neurosurgeon, Ben Carson. As a child growing up in Detroit, Ben Carson has a dream of becoming a physician, a dream that rose out of struggles with poverty, racism, and poor grades. As Ben persevered and strove for academic excellence, his life became one of compassion and service. The book was such a joy to read with my children. At times we actually had a hard time putting it down. There were many moments my children would ask me to continue reading and of course I did.

The Unit Study Curriculum Guide was such a blessing. I felt that it was put together in a fantastic way. Each chapter of the book had corresponding chapter questions that were found in the unit study guide. These questions really helped my daughters remember what they were learning and I had fun asking them and hearing all the replies. The guide helped my daughters explore many different areas and is filled with a ton of wonderful information and help such as:

  • Essay writing
  • Creative writing
  • Hands-on projects
  • Audio/visual projects
  • Social Studies
  • Reproducible activity sheets
  • Geography
  • History
  • Vocabulary
  • Critical thinking
  • Community Links
  • Meaningful field trips
  • Guest speakers
  • Service projects
  • Related Themes to Explore
  • Politics and law
  • Current events
  • Life skills
  • Math
  • History
  • Geography
  • Science
  • Biography of Related Resources
  • Book recommendations
  • Movie recommendations
  • Documentaries
  • Magazine articles
  • Websites
  • Culminating Events
  • Project displays
  • Era music, food, and activities
  • Oral presentations


My daughters absolute favorite part of the unit study guide was a section called Student Explorations. In this section my daughters were able to complete some really fun hands-on activities such as creating a model of the brain, learning about Michigan, and even practice sewing. 


There were many reading, writing, and research activities also included in the guide. I loved how in depth some of the topics were and how easy everything was for my daughters to understand. Another fun activity was being able to sit down and watch a movie called Gifted Hands, recommended from the study guide, that was all about Ben Carson's life. 

One of the activities that my daughters haven't completed yet, but will soon is a timeline. We enjoyed that this was included and I look forward to my daughters completing it soon. 


Final Thought

Ben Carson's life is absolutely fascinating and inspiring and I'm so thankful my daughters were able to learn about it using HEROES OF HISTORY Ben Carson: A Chance at Life and the Unit Study Curriculum Guide from YWAM Publishing. learning all about history and much, much more was so fun and that's the kind of curriculum I love for my daughters. We highly recommend YWAM Publishing.  They offer a ton HEROES OF HISTORY books about a lot of different people from history.  






Want to Connect with YWAM Publishing?


**************************************

Click Below to read more reviews from the Schoolhouse Review Crew
YWAM Publishing Review



Crew Disclaimer


Like our blog? You can Subscribe and/or check us out on
  Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! :)


Google